VIENNA — Michaelerplatz To Schottentor

This quarter of the Innere Stadt is full of palaces and churches as well as galleries, antique dealers and designer fashion. Of special note is the Palais Kinsky which was built by Hildebrandt in 1761. It has been restored to its former glory and contains a three-storey magnificent stairway complete with statues. The palace now houses art shops and restaurants.

The sights found here are:
Herrengasse
Freyung
Globenmuseum
Kunstforum
Minoritenkirche
Pasqualati Haus
Schottenkirche

Herrengasse
Herrengasse which means Lords’ Lane contains most of the grand houses in this quarter. These include Palais Mollard which houses the Globenmuseum, Palais Ferstal and Palace Kinsky. Palais Ferstal contains the well-known Cafe Central with its impressive interior of marble pillars and wonderful chandeliers and in the past played host to Trotsky, Karl Kraus and Hermann Bahr.

Freyung

Freyung
This cobblestoned square is the largest square in the Innere Stadt and is found at the northern end of Herrengasse. On Fridays the square is transformed into a farmers’ market. Just north of Freyung is Mölker Bastei which is one of the two remaining sections of the old city walls. Am Hof is found at the southern end of Freyung. This was the site of a fortress built by the former rulers of Vienna before they moved to Hofburg. This area dates back to Roman times and a few excavations can be found at the Fire Brigade Centre. There are a few buildings of note to be found here and these include the Schottenkirche and the Kirche Am Hof both with very impressive facades. In the centre of the square is Mariensäul or St Mary’s Column which was built in 1667 and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

Globenmuseum
This is part of the National Library collection of museums and is dedicated to cartography. It is the only museum of its kind in the world and a highlight of the museum is the globe made for Emperor Karl V by Mercator in 1541 and a map of the world from 1551. Since 2005 this museum has been housed in the Palais Mollard in Herrengasse.
For information about the museum visit the website at: http://www.onb.ac.at/ev/globe_museum.htm

Kunstforum

Kunstforum
The Bank Austria Art Collection contains around 10,000 works and is one of the most important collections of Austrian art. The collection contains works from the late 19th century but its main focus is post-1945 Avant-Garde painting and contemporary art. There is also an important photographic collection. The gallery plays host to a variety of temporary exhibitions throughout the year.
For information about the Kunstforum visit the website at: http://www.bankaustria-kunstforum.at/en?KFSID=2dd3120451eb0e99af22b75a2e6763fd

Minoritenkirche

Minoritenkirche
This church of the Franciscan order called the Minorite friars was built in the early 14th century. This church is different from a lot of the other churches found in Vienna because of the simplicity of its Gothic interiors and cloisters. The highlight of this church is the mosaic copy of Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper found inside.

Pasqualati Haus
The fourth floor of this house was home to Beethoven from 1804 to 1814. It was here that he worked on his 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th symphonies and his opera Fidelio. The apartment has been preserved and is today a Beethoven museum. It contains many artefacts and personal belongings of Beethoven including ear trumpets, a salt and pepper shaker and a lock of his hair. There are also numerous documents illustrating his life and work including a portrait by Willibrord Joseph Mäher.
For information about this museum visit the website at:
http://www.wienmuseum.at/en/locations/location-detail/beethoven-pasqualatihaus-1.html

Schottenkirche

Schottenkirche
The name Schottenkirche means ‘Scottish Church’ but it was really established in 1177 by the Irish Benedictine monks. Extensive renovations were made during the 17th century which resulted in the Baroque architectural style you see today. It is very elaborate inside with its ceiling frescoes. You cannot go inside the church except during services but if you are interested in Medieval art there is a church museum in the monastery which houses many exquisite pieces including the Schotten altarpiece dating back to 1475.