VIENNA — Schloss Belvedere

Belvedere and its extensive gardens is considered to be one of the world’s finest Baroque landmarks. It was designed by Hildebrandt for Prince Eugene of Savoy between 1714 and 1716 and was used as his summer residence. After the prince died it was bought by Maria Theresia and then became a Hapsburg residence. The palace consist of the two main sections — the Upper Belvedere and the Lower Belvedere as well as the Orangerie, the stables and the magnificent gardens.
For information about the palace visit the website at:
http://www.belvedere.at/jart/prj3/belvedere/main.jart?rel=en&content-id=1169655776885&reserve-mode=active

The sights found here are:
Osterreichische Galerie
Oberes Belvedere
Unteres Belvedere
Gardens

Schloss Belvedere

Osterreichische Galerie
This art gallery is found in the Belvedere Palace. The collection is split between the Unteres Belvedere where you will find the Baroque section of paintings and the Oberes Belvedere which houses 19th and 20th centuries art. The gallery focuses on Austrian painters and the most famous ones on display are Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele.

Oberes Belvedere
The Upper Belvedere was built between 1720 and 1723. It is the more luxurious of the two sections of the palace and was used mainly for receptions and festivities. It is a splendid building with its magnificent entrance hall and grand staircase as well as the beautiful Marble Hall. The rooms are lavishly decorated with stucco and frescos by Carlo Carlone and ceiling paintings by Giacomo del Po. The Upper Belvedere contains art from the 19th and 20th centuries. Some of the highlights include Klimt’s The Kiss and Schiele’s Eduard Kosmack. There are temporary exhibitions from time to time as well.

Unteres Belvedere
This is the Lower Belvedere and it was built between 1714 and 1716 by Hildebrandt. This impressive building contains the Marble Hall with frescos by Martino Altomonte, the state bedroom, Hall of Grotesques and the Marble Gallery. The Imperial Company of Archers moved into parts of the Lower Belvedere from 1764 until the end of the monarchy and after the French Revolution it became the imperial residence until 1804. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Ambras Castle Collection was temporarily relocated here and between 1899 and 1914 the Lower Belvedere was used to house the military chancery. In 1903 the Moderne Galerie was opened here and the east wing was adapted to house the imperial collection of antiquities. The Lower Belvedere has attached to it the Orangery and palace stables which were used for the prince’s horses. Since 2007 the Lower Belvedere and the Orangery have been used for exhibitions.

Belvedere Gardens

Gardens
The Palace Gardens were planned by the garden architect Dominique Girard. The long garden between the two Belvederes was laid out in classical French style with symmetrically arranged trees and hedges, sculpture, fountains and cascades. To the south is an Alpine Garden including a bonsai section and to the north is a botanical garden which belongs to the Vienna University.