MUNICH — Haidhausen

Haidhausen is a residential district found to the east of the city centre and is often referred to as the ‘French Quarter’ as there are a lot of streets named after French cities and are arranged in a pattern sometimes found in France. Originally this was an area that provided homes for factory workers, artisans, masons and tradespeople in the 19th century. In the 1960’s it became more trendy as Artists moved here and with the Gasteig Cultural Centre opening here in 1985 is still retains that atmosphere today. It is also a popular place for bars and clubs. Two notable landmarks of this area are the Müllersches Volksbad which is Munich’s first public swimming pool housed in a wonderful Art Nouveau building from 1901 and the huge Muffathalle which is a cultural centre that was converted from an old power plant.

The sights found here are:
Kulturzentrum Gasteig
St Nikolai and Lorettokapelle
Wiener Platz
St-Johann-Baptist-Kirche

Gasteig Kulturzentrum

Kulturzentrum Gasteig
This huge Cultural Centre has been around since 1985 and consists of four concert halls including the Philharmonie which is the home of the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra. This is a large concert hall that contains 2500 seats. The other three concert halls are much smaller and they are the Carl-Orff-Saal with 590 seats, the Black Box with 250 seats and the Kleiner Konzertsaal with 190 seats. Also found here is the Richard Strauss Conservatory, an adult education centre and the largest Municipal Library in Germany. The Gasteig is also the main venue for the Munich Film Festival. The structure itself is rather unusual and caused a lot of controversy when it was first built. It is one of those love it or hate it type of buildings consisting of dark brown brick and glass and dominating the area it is located in — the right bank of the River Isar at the axis of Isartor, Zweibrückenstrasse and Ludwigsbrücke.

St Nikolai and Lorettokapelle
This church is found near to the Gasteig Cultural Centre and consists of the St Nikolai Church which was built in 1315 in the Gothic style and changed to Baroque style in the 1600’s. The little Loretto Chapel was modelled on a chapel found in Altötting called the Gnadenkapelle. Outside the church is a covered walkway which protects some wonderful Stations of the Cross reliefs made from Nymphenburg porcelain.

Wiener Platz
This is a pretty square found north of the Gasteig along Innere Wienerstrasse. There is a daily food market where you can stock up on everyday items but you can also buy gourmet items. The market was set up here in 1889 and was named after the Austrian city of Vienna (Wien). This name was chosen because the Innere Wienerstrasse used to be the link road to Vienna.

St-Johann-Baptist-Kirche

St-Johann-Baptist-Kirche
This church is found east of Wiener Platz and was built from 1852 to 1874. It is considered to be the main church in the east of Munich. The church is huge measuring about 80 m long and 35m wide. The west tower is 97m high which makes it the third highest church tower in Munich. The church was designed by Matthias Berger in the Gothic Revival style. During WW2 Around the church was badly damaged and was rebuilt with a more simplified tower which had the nickname ‘helmet’. The church has 21 neo-Gothic windows which are quite stunning and inside the church the main altar in the choir and the side altars in the aisles dating from the time of the Gothic Revival are also worth seeing.